Tips for Surviving the Holidays: The Healthy Way
Even before you set down at the dinner table, think about modifying your favorite recipes. Here are some tips adapted from the African-American Favorite Traditional Recipes Made Healthy, Tasty, and Easy website: (http://www.lightenuplancaster.org/LULC/media/media/get%20healthy/AfricanAmerican.pdf)
- Reduce the amount of fat, sugar, and sodium
- Omit an ingredient (skip high-calorie toppings and leave out optional condiments)
- Use a low-fat cooking method (grill, bake, broil, boil, poach, steam, braise)
- Reduce your portion sizes (have a tablespoon each of the things you like)
- Make a healthy substitution using the suggestions here:
|When your recipe calls for:||Substitute this:|
|All purpose flour||Whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour for half the amount of the all-purpose flour|
|Canned soups, sauces, and veggies||Reduced fat and sodium varieties, no-salt added canned veggies, frozen veggies, fresh veggies|
|Dry bread crumbs||Rolled oats, crushed bran flakes (cereal), whole wheat bread crumbs|
|Eggs||2 egg whites or ¼ cup egg substitute = 1 whole egg|
|Enriched pasta||Whole wheat/multi-grain pasta|
|Evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk||Evaporated skim milk or fat-free sweetened condensed milk|
|Fruit canned in heavy syrup||
|Full-fat cream cheese||Fat free or low-fat cream cheese|
|Full fat sour cream||Fat free or low-fat sour cream, plain Greek yogurt|
|Ground beef||Lean ground turkey (93/7 or 85/15)|
|Mayonnaise||Low-fat or fat-free mayo, replace part of the mayo with plain, non-fat yogurt or Greek yogurt|
|Seasoning salts such as garlic salt, onion salt, or celery salt||Salt-free herb blends, fresh herbs, garlic, or onions, garlic and/or onion powder, celery seed|
|White bread||Whole wheat/whole grain bread|
|White rice||Brown rice (cooked in chicken or veggie bouillon, broth, or stock)|
|Whole milk||Skim milk or 1% milk|
Before/During The Holidays:
- Protein Powder/Shake – Syntha-6 by BSN, Ultimate Muscle Protein (UMP) by Beverley International, Protein Shake Mix by Arbonne (vegan/vegetarian/lactose intolerant), Ensure or Boost high-protein
- Arbonne Full Control – Created from glucomannan and magnesium. Full Control should be taken 30 minutes before eating. The key ingredient is a fiber from the konjac root that expands in water. This will safely make you feel satisfied so you do not over eat.
After The Holidays:
- 7-Day Body Cleanse – By Arbonne. This gentle cleanse removes toxins and waste from your body and promotes fat loss and well-working body systems.
- Herbal Colon Cleanse – by Arbonne. Uses natural ingredients to cleanse your colon of build-up and mucus that can send toxins into the blood stream. Cleansing the colon can accelerate weight loss and support colon health.
Arbonne products may be found at http://arbonne.com Representative Tiffany Santana #13924005
Tips for Not Blowing it over Thanksgiving:
1- Make healthier substitutions for the foods you love – (1) cook greens with smoked turkey instead of pork (2) take out half of the macaroni in your mac and cheese and substitute it with cauliflower (3) have fruit with whipped cream (4) angel food cake for dessert (5) drink lots of water.
2- Do some exercises while you’re watching football, waiting for food to cook, and after you eat.
3- Eat very small portions of everything you like, and don’t go for seconds
4 – Eat very slowly. It takes 30 minutes for your brain to get the signal that you have eaten and
5 – Add more vegetables to your menu – greens, green beans, squash, baked sweet potatoes, corn, salad, brown rice and zucchini cooked in bouillon.
These tips for not over-eating can also work throughout the year. Have a happy holiday season. Don’t forget to check out Monday Madness: The Health & Fitness Show on the Stovall and Hoggard Communications Network on blogtalk radio on Monday mornings at 10 am.